Saturday, December 15, 2007

Day 8: The Last Day. (Ragland and Aukland...then some time travel)

We were so sad that it was our last day. Our flight didn't leave until 11pm so at least we had a long day to enjoy New Zealand's famous surf spot and their largest city. It was a beautiful day that saturday, so we decided to head toward the coast (an hour's drive) and see the Tasman Sea on a good day. Another gorgeous drive ensued. On the way, there was a sign for Bridal Veil Falls and we decided to detour for a quick hike. It proved to be well worth it.

The view over from directly over the waterfall

The drop...

125 feet doesn't always look so big.

The hike left Kenny really thirsty

In case we're attacked from some woodland creature, I'm ready with some awesome high-kicks.

The trees were all covered with moss...it was very "Lord of the Rings-ish"

After the waterfall, we headed out to Raglan - a cool little surf town on the Tasman Sea, where there are several swimming-friendly spots. 15 minutes south of Raglan is Whale Bay. Whale Bay has a beautiful left hand break. I don't even surf and I could appreciate its uniqueness and perfection. You could paddle out where it's glassy and then cut into steady slow (at this time of year) waves. There were 10-15 surfers putting on quite the show and the on the grass were several vans serving as make-shift camps. These people were die-hard. i could have stayed watching and enjoying the sun for hours.






Aukland...full circle. We finally made the final stretch of our journey to Aukland, New Zealand's main city. I think half the total population lives here. For the first time on our trip we were on actual free ways. Merging from the left and remembering that the right lane was "the fast lane" took some getting used to, to say the least. But we made it! Aukland is pretty cool, but wasn't my favorite. We walked up Queen's St., hung out at an outdoor market at The Edge (and eyed some potentially amazing skate spots) then meandered to the piers in search of a great dinner. We literally would stand in front of a restaurant and smell the air searching for the best smelling food. We found it toward the middle of the pier and enjoyed the view of Aukland harbor, some great food, fabulous people watching, and reminiscing. I can't say anything that would really sum up what a wonderful trip this was. So I guess I'll just say I can't wait to go back!

The Sky Tower

Nothing like a HUGE paper mache Santa plastered to a building to welcome the Christmas season.

More rad buildings...

Sculpture (begging to be skated) at The Edge

At the Entrance to the docks

Aukland Harbor

Another map, but for the last time. Here Kenny maps out the last part of our journey...the trip to the airport.


The flight going home was long. Actually it was shorter than the trip to New Zealand (I guess we were traveling with the wind this direction), but it was bumpy and I couldn't sleep very well. Plus, this kid was crying...all night...and rather than console the child at their seat, the mom let him wander up and down the isle all night. So everyone got to enjoy it. I think she thought it would wear him out, but after four hours wouldn't you give up? I guess you could commend her for her perseverance; it lasted all 13 hours. Anyway, the flight was otherwise uneventful. We left at 11:00pm and arrived in LA at 2:00pm - the same day. We got two Saturdays! I wished we had done it via DeLorean. After unpacking, we met up with Kenny's fam. and hit up a viewing of August Rush (lame) and enjoyed some delicious crepes (awesome) on Birch Street. The End!

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

First I have to say that I am super stoked on your blog. The second thing I have to say is that your trip seemed like it was ah-mah-zing. Those falls were so gorgeous. I am glad you had such a good time. I think Chad might be crying a little bit, but I think he will be alright. Thanks for the Milo (even though I am too scared to try it). I know Chad is going to drink it party like it's 1996-ish.