Friday, December 11, 2009

A scattered post. (Sorry)

So, my head is in a weird place and I can't think of any one thing to write about. Sure I could overload you with photos and travel logs and the like, but frankly that requires way more patience than I have right now. So, for the sake of updating this blog, here's a very random update of some of my recent thoughts and doings:

We had dinner with a good friend from our church the other day, Ernie Jarvis. He's 97 and he's awesome. He was the first friend we made upon moving to Fullerton and he remains one of our dearest companions. This week he invited us to his retirement home's Hallmark Dinner - a once-a-year, very fancy dinner event. Keep in mind, Ernie lives in a sort of "Park Place" of retirement homes, so this was especially fancy and formal. The menu included crabs legs, Peking duck, orange roughey, baby lamb chops, etc. etc. True, the food was all still incredibly bland and overcooked - it IS a retirement home after all, but it was fancy and fun. Conversation was good, the atmosphere was fantastic (think 50s era White Christmas), and it was nice to catch up with him. The best parts: watching retirees examine each others' walkers the way a teenager might size up a new car. And this: after noticing several attendees in gold name tags, I asked Ernie if they were the evening's designated hosts. "No," he replied, "we all have those tags. I don't ever wear mine...but I still remember who I am and how to get home." And he was serious.

Oh, I do love Ernie.

Moving on. I love finding new restaurants...the smaller and more obscure the better. Kenny came for lunch today and we were both craving Pedro's tacos, but couldn't swing the "quick" trip to San Clemente on my limited lunch break, so we went exploring. Tacos Mesa in Costa Mesa was a good and comparable find. I am full and happy. You know what else would make me happy? Digestive regularity. Unfortunately I'm not sure Tacos Mesa is going to help me much with that. Oh well. It tasted good.

Work has officially (or rather informally) stopped for the season. Unfortunately, I'm still here in the office pretending to work. Time to online shop! (I wish. That would require me to fist, have money for one thing, and second, to NOT have a moral conscience. Blogging is as unproductive as I allow myself to get while working.)

Kenny's little brother got home from his mission yesterday. Yay! I'm excited to see him. Also, my little sister turned sweet 16 this week. Yay! I'm excited for my dad to be the father of a dating teenage girl again. I think it will be more entertaining for me as a spectator than it was when I was the teen.

I noticed today that I feel the slightest bit of anxiety entering and exiting elevators. I stare at the crack in the floor and hug all my belongings tight to me. I finally realized this is a result of growing up on the 18th floor of a Cambridge, MA apartment building. I can't even remember all the things I must have dropped down that crack. Also, I refuse to "hold the door" for others. It's not out of rudeness (mostly), but rather out of a previously subconscious fear of getting my arm stuck in the door. "That's ridiculous," you say? Ask my little brother how ridiculous. Now there's a story for you.

Speaking of stories about the little brother, here's one that I was reminded of recently. When Ryan and I shared a room in MA, I had the bottom bunk and he had the top. I was wired late one night and kept bugging him and keeping him awake. You know, big sister stuff. Well, I eventually pushed him too far. He left the room only to return with a full glass of water which he then threw all over me. Of course I told on him. Again, it's the big sister thing to do. My father didn't much appreciate being woken up to deal with this matter and proceeded to make Ryan sleep in the soaked sheets on the bottom bunk. Although a better person might have fessed up that she deserved the soaking, I rather waited until Dad was again fast asleep before I fetched a few towels for the poor kid. It was truly the least I could do, and it effectively served to alleviate some of the guild I was feeling. But I stayed in the dry top bunk. Again, Ryan, I'm really sorry about that.

So...that's all for now I guess. I'll probably try to find some work to do or something. Happy Friday!

3 comments:

Bek said...

you're amazing. i love your stories and your blog and your life.

heather said...

i love the way you talk about ernie and i remember you posting about how you love stylish old men. i have a lot of geriatric patients and i know they crave conversations and quality time with the younger generations. i bet ernie really appreciates you and kenny actually being his friends and not just spending time with him to get charity points.

Shanna Nemrow said...

Ernie sounds fabulous. I love spending time with older people and hearing their stories and tales of times we can only imagine. When I get to go to Relief Society (which I usually don't, since I'm in Primary), I find the oldest sister I can and sit with her and talk. Great times.